I prepared a nice summer farro salad inspired by a similar dish I had tried at Il Cane Rosso in the San Francisco Ferry Building. Less tomatoey, more festive because of the touch of cilantro and the (semi) home-made tortilla strips...
It was perfect on a nice summer evening - filling because of the whole grains and at the same time light and refreshing because of the fresh veggies without lacking flavor (freshly boiled corn and grilled peppers are key!)
Farro works great here not only because it has a rich nutty flavor but also because it has the right amount of chewiness and can stand up to the juicy tomatoes and peppers.
Here are the ingredients I used:
- Italian farro (love Costco's variety)
- Diced tomatoes
- Grilled red/yellow bell peppers
- Diced cucumber
- Diced onion
- My best extra virgin olive oil
- Rice vinegar (I'm a die hard Trader Joe's vinegar fan)
- Tortilla strips
- Feta cheese (cotija cheese would be great too!)
- Salt a black pepper