I love Thai food. If you are like me then this simple and flavorful soup will completely satisfy your cravings. The recipe does not require expensive, exotic ingredients and special skills. The result is absolutely delicious and especially perfect for cold winter days.
I have cooked the soup with butternut and kabocha squashes, but my favorite is the kabocha squash version.
- 1 large kabocha squash, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass or lemongrass paste
- 1.5 " knob of ginger
- 5 keffir lime leaves ( check Indian supermarkets )
- 1 hot chili, for example serrano
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Cilantro, for garnish
- First, prepare the ingredients. Cut the lemongrass into 3 pieces and bruise the pieces until slightly broken. Peel the ginger and grate it.
- Mix the broth with the squash, the coconut milk, and the rest of the ingredients in a pot. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Fish the lemongrass out of the pot and puree the soup using a stick hand blender
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, and peanuts to serve.