When I saw Plodova Salata's blueberry muffins this morning, I was...inspired and I wouldn't let the lack of eggs and milk prevent me from whipping up some good breakfast delights for SM.
A quick glance in the fridge revealed that I still had some almond milk on hand. The egg-replacement issue was a little harder to fix. I recalled an article in the New York Times that discussed replacing eggs with ground flax seed in a cookie recipe. As far as I could recall, the experiment yielded some pretty good results.
Here were my modifications to PS' Blueberry muffin recipe:
- Swapped regular milk for unsweetened low fat almond milk
- Replaced 1 egg with 1tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water (read more on this here) - I placed the bowl with the mixture in the freezer for 5-10 minutes
- Used half a frozen banana instead of the blueberries
- Added a couple of tablespoons of dried cherries, almonds and pistachios
- Added some cinnamon and extra vanilla
- Used whole wheat pastry /cake flour which is really fine
- Usd only 3tbsp of sugar
I blended all of the liquid ingredients in my blender:
The consistency of the mixture was very thick (I think because of the banana addition...). Next time I need to add a bit more moisture or fat.
I think I could have baked the muffins for only 20 minutes (vs. 25)
The muffins were not sweet and definitely benefited from the confectioner's sugar. They paired very well with the sweet Lupicia Golden Honey Dew tea.
The muffins were very light = they definitely exceeded my expectations!