Eating healthy with our insanely busy schedules and tempting high-calorie daily restaurant meal allowances can be quite difficult. Over the weekend, I try as much as I can to prepare for the week ahead. I cook batches of our diet staples, which include beans, whole grains, dairy products (and the occassional baking goods), which I refrigerate and use during the week. My objective is to make breakfast and dinner and pack healthy lunches during the week as often as possible.
I will plan to report it all in this recurring weekly Sunday evening post.
This weekend's run-down:
- Soaked and cooked canellini beans (used one third along with the broth for a soup for Sunday dinner and Monday lunch ---tune in for the recipe tomorrow!)
- Spelt / kamut berry whole grain mix - I use it as a whole grain for breakfast, as a topping (kind of like cheese) on gratins, or when I want to add an interesting texture to soups, stews, salads, etc.
- Medium grain brown rice - I use it as a side, breakfast or an add-in to soups and stews
- Golden Granola for breakfast / afternoon snack
- Yogurt for breakfast / afternoon snack (made a groundbreaking discovery --> heating up the milk in the rice cooker is a piece of cake)
- Biscuits for Scratchunka Mimunka's breakfast or lunch