Since Friday is typically an "eat out" day for us, I won't be posting any dinner-related recipes today.
We had an early bite at a new restaurant in the FiDi called Barbacco (Perbacco's little sister next door), an excellent trattoria where we enjoyed amazing bruschetta (one of which was made with special back fat pig lardo also known as "slaninka" in Bulgarian).
When we got back home I had plenty of time to prepare some staples for the week ahead - yogurt and granola.
Granola is one of the easiest things to prepare and can be easily customized to please anyone's palate.
Salty-sweet golden granola
- 3 cups of rolled oats ( I buy different kinds in bulk from Whole Foods); in this case I used 1 cup spelt, 1 cup kamut, 1 cup rye oats\
- 1/2 - 1 cup coconut shreds
- 1 cup nuts - in this case 1/2 cup raw almonds and 1/2 cup Duchily hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup dried fruits - in this case apples, pears and prunes
- Spices: you can go crazy here - I did 2 tsp vanilla powder, 2-3 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger powder and most importantly salt
- Olive oil - 3 tbsp
I mixed all the ingredients well...
...and spread the mix on a 9 x 13 pan and popped it in the oven and...Eureka - 40-45 minutes later I struck gold...golden granola that is!!!